BENEFITS OF HUMATE INCLUSION:
1. Odour Reduction
- Using humate substances decreases volatile ammonia release by animals by 64%.
- This also results in an improved nitrogen to phosphorous ratio in waste.
2. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Humic acid is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties, additionally it binds to collagen and aids the repair of damaged tendons and bones.
- Tendon strength is increased as well.
3. Microbial Interaction
- Promotes beneficial bacteria and suppresses bacteria with negative effects.
- Increases bacteria counts in milk as a result of humic acid ingestion, promotes the impeding of mastitis.
4. Immune System
- Due to immune function increase by humic acid there is a decreased incidence of diarrhoea and other digestive upsets.
- There is also an increase in pathogen defence such as with E. coli.
5. Mineral transfer
- Humic substances acts as a blood dilator increasing cell wall permeability.
- The increase in cell wall permeability increases mineral transfer from blood to tissue.
- Additionally humic acids reduce and suppress metals in blood.
6. Blood Parameters
- Increases blood oxygen carrying capacity. The increase in oxygen allows for faster healing of wounds. Example: Cutting horses have inflamed ankles and humates reduce the inflammation thereof.
- Humic acids increases and stimulates neutrophils which may protect against bacterial pathogens and reduce mortality during acute bacterial infections.
7. Anti-Viral Properties
- Humates are effective media additives for the production of antibiotics
- Humates positive effects on rhinoviruses are well documented.
- Shown to have a beneficial effect against :
- Coxsakie virus A9
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2
- Influenza type A and B
- As well as respiratory tract disease
- Humic acids were previously used in the prevention of pig foot and mouth diseases.